The Gaya Muslim Orphanage (GMO) owes its existence to the munificence of Enayeth Khan, a great
wiseacre and native of village Kolowna (1 km from Cherki). The GMO was established in October 1917
at Cherki, 20 kms from Gaya town on Gaya-Sherghati road. Initially, the orphanage was put up in a
rented thatched hutment for which the founder Enayeth Khan paid 50 paise (eight annas) as monthly
rental from his own pocket. Enayeth Khan, who was working then as a clerk with the Calcutta Fire
Brigade on a monthly salary of Rs. 50, invested a modest sum of Rs. 30 from his purse for the
establishment purposes. Before getting an employment with the Calcutta Fire Brigade, the founder
also worked as a hotel boy (washing utensil etc) at the Grad Hotel in Calcutta.